Hey Foodies, Get ready to embark on an incredible Cajun culinary journey with me! In today’s video, I’m bringing you an irresistible Cajun Gumbo recipe that’s going to tantalize your taste buds like never before.
As the aromas fill my kitchen, I’ll guide you through every step of creating this rich and hearty Gumbo. We’ll start by sautéing a medley of diced onions, bell peppers, celery, and minced garlic in a touch of vegetable oil. The sizzle of these ingredients sets the stage for the robust flavors we’re about to build.
Next, it’s time to introduce the star players. Cherry tomatoes join the mix, adding their juicy sweetness, while tomato paste contributes a deep, savory base. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and watch as the symphony of flavors begins to unfold. Cajun seasoning and smoked paprika join the party, elevating the taste to authentic Cajun heights.
Let’s Make it
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup sliced smoked sausage or cooked chicken (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooked shrimp (optional)
- 1/2 cup crispy fried okra snacks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to release their juices.
- Stir in the tomato paste, smoked paprika, and Cajun seasoning. Cook for another minute to coat the vegetables with the spices.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and add the bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- If using, add the sliced smoked sausage or cooked chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp and crispy fried okra snacks to the pot. Stir gently to incorporate them into the gumbo. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the gumbo and season with salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Serve the gumbo hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley. It can be enjoyed as is or served over cooked rice.
Elevate your taste buds with a Cajun Gumbo masterpiece!