Onions on burgers are just delicious. In the 20s, during the Great Depression, onions were added to the meat to extend the beef supply. What a GREAT idea! Well, it continues today.
This simple burger needs only four things: a bun, beef, onions, and pickle chips; well, and a way to cook it, but come on.
Let’s Cook it
- BURGER –
- 1 or 2 hamburger patties
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 1-2 slices american cheese
- FIXINS –
- hamburger buns or bread
- pickle chips
- Slice the Vidalia onions super thing on a mandoline slicer if possible, or with a knife if you’ve got skilz.
- Put the hamburger patty or patties in a preheated cast iron skillet and sprinkle with salt. Add pepper if you would like, too. Also, pile on a good portion of onions, and then, whether you used a hamburger ball or not, take a stiff spatula and smash the patty down into the pan, pressing the onions into the hamburger (you want the onions hanging over the edges here so that they caramelize on the hot pan).
- When the patty has cooked and you are sure there is a nice brown crust on it, scrape it off the pan with your stiff spatula and flip it over.
- Place the American cheese on the crusted side and place the bun on top of that to steam in the beef aroma; let this side crust up as well.
- When this is done, take it off and place the pickle chips on it, then top the burger and enjoy!
Thanks again and if you try it let me know, I would love to hear from you.